Mechanical Seal Essentials - Installation & Application
Mechanical seals, if correctly selected and installed can give a long service life with reduced running costs, downtime and environmental issues. If the incorrect seal is selected or it is installed incorrectly, they will fail. Here are some quick tips.
l. Ensure that the radial skip of the shaft is no more than < =0.04mm. The axial runout shall be <=0.1mm
2. Ensure that all surfaces including the shaft and stationary seat cavity are clean and free from dirt and obstructions prior to the installation.
3. Avoid rough handling of the seal surfaces as this may cause premature failure of the seal.
4. Apply a lubricant (recommend: lightly soapy water ) on the surfaces which are in contact with the secondary (elastomer/rubber) seals to ease fitting.
5. Apply uniform force to the screws while tightening them up during the installation of the gland to ensure alignment of the ring surface to the axis of rotation.
6. Using your hand, push the rotating ring in after installation and make sure it moves freely.
7. Turn the shaft by hand after installation to make sure that it spins reasonably freely.
8. Ensure that the equipment suction is flooded with the pumped media or water before it is put into operation so as to avoid the failure of the seals due to dry running.
If you are experiencing problems, contact us by clicking Contact Us above.